Monday, May 20, 2013

North Narrabeen Markets






Do you frequent a local market? I'm making it a part of our weekly 'activity plan' (term to be used flexibly) and it's especially fun with 2yo P (while 4 yo B is a preschool). Our local market, at North Narrabeen is an organic market (with a few exceptions). Stall operators bring their produce which includes everything from buffalo yoghurt to baklava, nuts and dried fruit, breads, crafts and clothes, soaps and olive oils. I always bring a limited amount of cash and my own bags and have a few bucks at the ready to grab my caffeine first!

After P and I gather a few essentials - (coffee and) usually veggies - she gets to choose one of the three kids' activities - the jumping castle, a ride on a pony or a stint in the petting zoo The petting zoo is always her favourite and despite having our own guinea pigs and chooks she still loves grabbing them for a cuddle. Last Friday P insisted on wheeling her doll's pram around the market. We bought some gorgeous organic celery and I was just leaving the stall when I noticed P had grabbed some pak choy from the stand and shoved it under her pram. We had a laugh as I handed it back!

If we are still at the markets at lunch time I like to grab some street food from Rustic Flair. (check out their blog They are on FB too). The pork-wich is a favourite and the phở is good but I am still a fan of the fresh rice paper rolls. I had to cackle last Friday when I watched a lady ask for a 'salad sandwich.' She didn't know she was missing!! But it was made without hesitation.

I especially love the community feel of the markets. I love having a chat with the stall holders and finding out about their prodcts, their love of food and how they like the markets. There's a sense that custimers who visit the markets tend to engage with their meals and food making!

No comments:

Post a Comment