Tuesday, May 7, 2013

a renaissance with Jamie Oliver

 It began because I picked up a copy of one of my first cook books in the op shop yesterday for $3 (bargain!!!) - Jamie Oliver's first cookbook The Naked Chef. I have my original copy but I couldn't leave it there on the shelf.

Today we arrived at the park at lunchtime so I was hungry. I was also hunting around the car for some reading material with the plan that the kids would play while I sat on the picnic rug. There, grinning at me, was the naked chef himself, Jamie Oliver. His recipes are achievable and I can almost see him coming to life through the pages with his lubbly jubbly passion for food.

I had ten minutes (between swings) chomping on a not very satisfying vegemite sandwich but I did get to revisit some great recipes. In that time I dog-eared a few I'll try later (sorry, in advance to the recipient of the book) but this is the one that took my fancy, seared encrusted tuna steak with fresh coriander and so this is the on we're having tonight.



ingredients
1 small dried red chilli
1 tablespoon coriander seeds
1/2 clove of garlic
1 good handful of basil picked and finely chopped
1 good handful of fresh coriander picked and finely chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
juice of 1 lemon
4 tuna steaks 285g each about 20mm thick

method
Smash up the chilli and the coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar.
Add the garlic basil coriander and lemon juice to taste.
Mix together and season.
Lay out your tuna steaks on a tray season both sides and rub the herb mixture on to each side.
There are two nice ways to cook it: I prefer to cook it on one of those ridged grill pans or in a frying pan.
Rub your pan which should be very very hot with a tittle bit of oil on a piece of kitchen paper then put in the tuna. What you want to do is sear the tuna so that it toasts fries and browns (about 45 to 60 seconds on each side). Once cooked I like to rip the steaks in half and serve with salad and chips or boiled potatoes and a big wedge of lemon. It`s quite sexy sometimes with some marinated sun dried tomatoes olives and basil.

variations

* I omitted the chilli since the kids are eating with me.
* The tuna wasn't cheap so I only bought two small steaks. You could use any firm fish.
* I also had a huge bunch of basil in the fridge and parsley in the garden so I swapped those instead of the coriander.
* I whizzed this up in the Thermomix but next time I'll grind the coriander seeds in the mortar and pestle or use ground coriander.It just didn't end up fine enough.
* I'm serving mine with steamed potatoes and a fennel (bulb) and orange salad.



No comments:

Post a Comment