Friday, May 10, 2013

an encounter

I had to wake P abruptly from her sleep today and so followed a loud, mega, age/developmentally appropriate tantrum. As I sat at my two year old's level, quietly trying to console her, an elderly woman came past and said "You are a NAUGHTY girl. Stop your crying. Stop it or your mother will beat you."

I was too shocked to say anything and evidently so was P. She stopped crying.

Since I became a parent 4 1/2 years ago I have had countless encounters with strangers who feel the need to comment. Fortunately many of those interactions have been positive as parents share stories of raising their own children, but there are a few negative interactions that stick in my mind.

Have you had encounters like the one I had today? How should I have responded?

No comments:

Post a Comment