Friday, July 19, 2013

mandarin marmalade 2

You may remember two years ago (one of my first blog posts) when I used Stephanie Alexander's recipe to make a large batch of marmalade - using the mandarins from a friend's tree in Port Macquarie.

I hardly made a dent in their crop last week when I brought home a box for some more marmalade-y goodness!

Needless to say, my kitchen has a lovely glossy, sugary sheen about it and the clean-up continues!

This time, with the Thermomix, I didn't need to spend hours julienning mandarin peel. I whizzed them up on sp 7 / 3 secs and they were done. That saved time.

This time I trebled the recipe so Stephanie Alexander suggests 2 kilos sugar per 1 kilo mandarins. I just couldn't bring myself to those quantities of sugar so I made my marmalade with 1 kilo sugar per 1 kilo mandarins. It was sweet enough and with the TM I could use organic raw sugar, whizz it in to caster sugar (without the processing) thus making it (slightly) healthier!

I had everything ready to go but couldn't find my muslin cloth stash so had to sacrifice a (pretty old) hole-y tea towel which did the job of pip holder!
















 If you're going to make jam or marmalade this gadget is preferable to a sticky kitchen bench



No comments:

Post a Comment