Thursday, January 5, 2012

Pillow Case Dress



Today I attempted my first biggish sewing project! I made a pillow case dress for my 1 year old daughter. I am quite proud of my efforts but I have also learned a few things from the exercise!

I have to admit that I didn't follow one particular pattern (but I did download this pattern) which would explain why it doesn't actually fit her as a dress but a fitted top!!! I also checked out a couple of movies on youtube.

Oh well- I have a friend with a little baby so it will be a great gift for her. It will actually fit her as a dress too!

So - here are the things I learned

* Follow a pattern!
* If you are a beginner sewer use matching cotton not contrasting.
* Sew with the side you want to see facing you. The downside tends to have untidy strands of cotton.

 I also learned

* How to sew around corners. I also thought this would be difficult!
* How to form french seams (folding over twice). They are really neat.
* How to sew a channel for elastic then attach elastic to one end of the channel so that it gathers (to form the neckline).

** Thanks to Funky Fabrix for the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment