Thursday, January 26, 2012

Fabulous Article...

..... especially for parents but also for those who spend time with kids.

http://www.rachelsimmons.com/2012/01/mom-im-fat-one-mothers-inspired-response-to-her-7-year-old/

A friend recently commented "Now that you have a girl you have to show her what's really important" i.e. not the stretch marks she left behind, my thighs that touch on the inside of my legs, my drooping chest, my balding patches where the hair fell out once she was born or the fading pigmentation on my cheeks.

I guess it's important, also, to acknowledge that our son should always respect women for their brains, their love, wisdom, strength, determination and that I am a role model for what he will come to learn (and what he has already learned) about women.

It's difficult because when you open the newspaper (even the 60 page local paper), or a magazine, look at the back of a bus and or walk through the shops women are depicted for their appearance and their visual appeal. As they say 'sex sells.'

We do have a responsibility, as parents, to counteract the saturation of exposure of this to our children - reminding them of what is actually real, normal and essentially important.

No comments:

Post a Comment