Monday, January 23, 2012

Bilpin....

I forgot to write about the amazing produce we had on the way back from this trip the other week.

If you are ever up that way be sure to take the Bells Line of Road - a beautiful drive - and a popular route with motor cyclists.

On the way back to the city we stopped at a number of roadside stalls at Bilpin. Right by the side of the road orchards stretch across paddocks under the gums.

Small shelters containing fresh produce operate on an honesty basis with their own money tins (like old times). We picked up some AMAZING organic peaches ($5 a bag!), beautiful jams- tomato!, plum & peach and apricot ($8 - a fraction of the price in the supermarkets and straight from the growers!) and organic blueberries ($8 a punnet).

I have to say that I've never tasted blueberries so sweet and tasty. Sadly, store bought blueberries frequently have a tinge of chemical taste (I think) but these were luscious.

I did spend a small fortune but we did get a whole lot more than we would have if we'd bought from the supermarket. And they were all organic! I love to support these local businesses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment