Thursday, January 19, 2012

A gift...


Do you remember that I once said that, as a teacher, you shouldn't have favourites?

Some children leave such a big impression on you. It's human nature. Teaching is such a privilege. A year is a decent amount of time to spend with a group of children and you do get to know them and their families very well.

This treasure came from a student in my first year of teaching - 8 years ago now. He was a lanky kid with a remarkable amount of energy. He was the youngest of four siblings so he was pretty confident and also relaxed about school. (I could go in to a profile about each of my students bc I tend to remember how they perform academically not to mention socially/emotionally at school.)

One day he came in with this little cactus. Some time afterwards or maybe beforehand (I can't remember now) another student - only child, quite good reader - brought in the pot that he'd painted at Before School Care. It was still wet! Perhaps the teachers intention was for it to go home. Nonetheless I was happy to accept the gift!

I took this plant with me when I changed schools and it remained in my classroom until I began maternity leave before our son was born.

I have seen both students a few times lately (they are now in Year Six) and when I've mentioned this to them they have looked at me blankly! It's funny how a gift can so significant to one person!

Over the years it's taken a beating. I've forgotten to water it many, many months in a row and, despite being a cactus, it has threatened to die from dehydration. It's fallen over, lost most of its soil and looked pretty leafless and lifeless at times.

Now, with a little tender loving care from my husband a month ago, the plant has regained its love of life and it remains one of my little reminders of the days I spent teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment