Friday, November 11, 2011

11.11.11

Today my son and I were on the beach on the 11th hour of the 11th month.

Today is almost one hundred years since 'Armistice Day' and the end of World War I (1918). In remembrance ceremonies across the Commonwealth people pause for a minute's silence on the 11th hour of the 11th month to acknowledge the end of the war and the lives lost by those in all wars and on all sides.

A loudspeaker announced 11am and I cuddled my son close at the water's edge while we paused for that minute or so. I was especially thinking of the present day military operations and sacrifices soldiers and their families make for the country. In particular I thought of the three soldiers who were shot dead in Afghanistan by a rogue Afghan soldier.

"How lucky are we? To have the freedom to sit here, enjoy the beach, in a free and democratic country."

My husband, in his Navy DPNU's, met us down at the beach briefly between work commitments and on our walk back to the car a voice came from a behind us. "Thanks for your service." A bedraggled stranger rode past on his bicycle and my husband replied "thanks mate.

The acknowledgement brought me to tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment