Friday, October 14, 2011

Steamed chicken, coriander & water chestnut wontons

Yesterday I decided that I'd try to make my own steamed wontons. Having never made them before I did what I do and checked my favourite websites for recipes: Cuisine, Donna Hay, Jamie Oliver (no recipes). Then I did a general search and found a few recipes on various other websites.

I decided that, given the ingredients already in my fridge, and the range of recipes I'd melt a few together that I liked the sound of. So, this is the recipe I came up with:

500g Free Range Chicken Mince
1 heaped teaspoon ginger, crushed
2 small garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 bunch of coriander, including stems
1/2 cup water chestnut, tinned, chopped


1 packet of 30 Shanghai Wonton Wrappers (these cost me $1.75 from a local Asian grocer!)
Peanut Oil (for brushing)
1 egg, beaten

For the dipping sauce (amounts to your liking):
Hoisin sauce
Fresh coriander, chopped finely
Chili oil
Peanuts, crushed
The juice of half a lime

In a large bowl mix the chicken, ginger, garlic, coriander and water chestnut. I found it easiest to mix with my hands.

Use a teaspoon to scoop about 2 level teaspoons of mixture into each wrapper. Brush egg on the inside corners of the wrapper. The egg is used to 'glue' the corners together. Fold opposite corners together and pinch them so they sit in the middle of the wonton.


Brush a little peanut oil onto the bottom of each wonton to ensure they don't stick to your bamboo steamer.

Fill a wide saucepan with enough water so it sits just below the shelf of the steamer. Put it on high so that it begins to boil.


Gently place each wonton on the steamer. Depending on the width of you steamer you should be able to cook a batch of 8-12 wontons at a time.

Steam the wontons for 8 minutes. By this time the chicken should be cooked through. Gently remove the wontons using tongs. If you are cooking in batches keep the wontons warm on a warm plate cover with foil.

For the dipping sauce - mix ingredients.

Best served and eaten immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment