Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It's all about the food...

Yesterday I went in to the old stomping ground. I do love it. Nothing much changes but little things change...

a lane way is painted, a carshare spot is added, a gutter is landscaped, a new cafe opens, an old restaurant closes..... essentially it is still the same as it was about 25 years ago when my husband first began visiting the area as a boy.

I would love to listen to the stories from a resident of many years...

Sadly our favourite, and iconic, Indian restaurant, India Downunder (on the corner of Crick Ave and Macleay St) has closed. I just visited their website to find they are relocating so it's not as sad as I first thought!

We made time to visit the newly opened bourke street bakery in Potts Point. I sampled their lamb and harissa (sausage) roll. The lamb was perfectly cooked- not too dry- with yummy flaky pastry. Dessert was a dark chocolate, raspberry & meringue tart. Delicious!

My companions ate the gluten-free chocolate cake and the moist and light carrot cake which also looked a treat! This morning we chomped on our ciabatta loaf- so light & airy but not holey enough to feel ripped off!




Thankfully I didn't miss out on a peruse of the Wayside Op Shop. It's currently located in a side alley while the renovations continue. A silk Alannah Hill dress was a steal for $25 and I also picked up a set of vintage clown stacking blocks for a few dollars.

Tonight we, once again, had to head in that way, so we stopped in at Miss Chu's for dinner. There is something about eating on the street that I love! Our children were well-accomodated but after tasting the beef with vermicelli I realised I needed something with less chilli for our toddler. We ordered prawn dumplings and it was SUCH a shame he didn't feel adventurous enough to try them... we had to gobble them up for him!

In the end our toddler became slightly more adventurous and devoured some of his dad's pork dish. 

We finished off dinner with my favourite- coconut pudding with water chestnut in pandana leaf... (and some mango sticky rice).

I like to be organised so we popped the kids in their pj's and by the time we were home our baby was fast asleep and our toddler suitably exhausted and ready for bed.






No comments:

Post a Comment