Monday, November 12, 2012

meal plan

Each week I make certain I have a meal plan. Whilst I may not stick with it exactly and things tend to come up during the week it helps me to devise (and committ to) a shopping list (and budget) and do a regular inventory of my pantry and freezer.

Our children (1 yo and 3 yo) now eat what we do. I don't hesitate to add chilli and a tonne of garlic to our meals. I tell my son "you love chilli" and his response is "yeah. I love chilli!"

So often I hear parents say, in front of their children, "Oh. He doesn't like that." I believe this reinforces fussiness in eating. A rule we have with our children is that they must try everything. So often they find something they really like - just by trying it.

Yesterday I sat down on my bed, surrounded by a few cookbooks and a cup of tea deciding what we'd eat for the week.

This week's meal plan:

Mon: Peking duck salad. The delicious Peking duck comes from a local butcher- Millin's Fine Food Butcher. With green leaves, crunchy noodles, loads of mint, julienne carrot.

Tues: nori rolls with cucumber, carrot and a small seared salmon steak.

Wed: eggs on toast with asparagus ($1.30 a bunch at the moment)

Thurs: lamb cutlets with veggies or salad.

Fri: pizzas with prosciutto, pesto, feta, olives, marinated eggplant.

I must say that this week seems quite meat heavy. My incredible grandmother came to visit last weekend and insisted she bought me a freezer full of meat from Millin's. Millin's sells meat that is as close to organic without being certified. They sell hormone-free, chemical-free, free range meats. You can walk in and buy a ready-to-cook meal and they'll label it with the cooking time and temperature.

We've continued our running order with Harvest Hub. Each Wednesday a large insulated bag of fruit and veggies (they also deliver local dairy and nut products now too) is delivered to our front door. Over the weekend I can log-in to my order and add or take-away products from my order but if I don't get the time the bagful is always a perfect combination of good quality local seasonal produce.

How do you plan for your meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment