Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Canberra finds its soul: New Acton

My parents were born in Canberra and I was born just beyond the border so for years I've been visiting the city. I completed my four year teaching degree at the University of Canberra (which was a great place to study, I might add). I do hear many people complaining about the city and I've been known to as well. I don't think I would live there again (I like to be MUCH closer to the beach and the extremes in temperature don't make it appealing to me) but with many friends and some family there we do visit regularly. 

There is much to like about Canberra though. Canberra has a thriving arts community - plenty of music, arts and festivals. You only have to look. You can find good food, great coffee and dozens of outdoors activities for kids and adults. It's an easy city to get around and you can pretty much be across town in half an hour.

Last time we were in Canberra my dearest friend was exhibiting her works from her work at ANU School of Arts. I mentioned this to another creative friend of mine (a retired high school teacher of industrial design, who is also an accomplished photographer) and he recognised the suburb where my art student friend was exhibiting.

New Acton has popped up as an artsy hub thriving with what has been missing from Canberra. The suburb has gallery spaces, excellent coffee (a change from uni students making bad coffee - I know because I was one of them!) and boasts sustainable architecturally designed living with a community vegie garden, two cinemas and pilates onsite. It makes up with soul what Civic (Canberra's centre) lacks. New Acton has created is own soul.

The gallery space turned out to be a new apartment lent to a curator to exhibit what she wanted. What a show! We stopped for coffee at Mocan and Green Grout. The babyccinos were 'up to standard' for the little ones and the coffee a vast improvement from what I remember from my student days!

I 'm looking forward to our next excuse to get to our nation's capital.

 


Disclaimer: Friends/family, please don't be offended by any comments I have made in this post. They are my opinions and just because you live in Canberra doesn't mean I don't value your opinion about the place. And you know how much I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment