Saturday, November 17, 2012

mango sorbet (no ice-cream machine required)

It's here! Mango season!!

Yesterday my grandmother and I picked up a tray of mangoes for $17! That was less than $1 each. Mangoes would have to be my favourite fruit and I know I'm not the only one. If you're not from Australia then sadly I have heard the ones we export are not quite the same. I suspect because once they are ripe you only have a couple of days to eat them, they leave Australia's shores unripe and they are refrigerated in storage which doesn't assist with ripening.

I've digressed.

I don't have an ice-cream machine so I decided to attempt Donna Hay's fruit sorbet recipe which can be done in an ice-cream maker but doesn't have to be.

Sorbet

3/4 cup caster sugar
1 cup (8 fl oz) water
Fruit purée of your choice

To make the basic syrup, place the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat and stir without boiling until the sugar is dissolved. (This was B's job.)

Increase the heat and bring to the boil for 1 minute. Set aside to cool. While the syrup is cooling, prepare the fruit purée.

Combine the fruit purée and sugar syrup in a metal bowl or cake tin and freeze for 1 hour or until just beginning to set at the edges. Best with an electric hand mixer and return to the freezer. Repeat 3 times at hourly intervals or until the sorbet is thick and smooth.

Mango Purée

Combine 2 1/2 cups mango purée (4 x 400g/14 oz mangoes or 950g/2 lb chopped mango flesh) and half a cup (4 fl oz) of lime juice to the cooled basic sorbet syrup.

The result is divine and worth the 1 minute every hour of beating.

No comments:

Post a Comment