Thursday, October 4, 2012

the agrarian experience

I am back in Sydney after a brilliant few days in Tassie. The weather was good to me and I even toyed with the idea of one day living on our southern island. I could have explored for anther few days but domestics and parenting duties had me flying home.

Sunday morning began with the stunning drive to The Agrarian Kitchen. Gosh it really is stunning driving along the Derwent River. Even if you don't get to the cooking school make certain that if you ever visit Hobart that you take the short car trip to Lachlan.

Upon arrival at t.A.K. we were given our caffeine hit of choice and a slice of gluten free chocolate hazelnut cake. After cake we wandered through garden beds and collected the veggies we would need, eggs from the chooks and one from a guinea fowl, milked the goat. Rodney and Severine have a smoking house on site and Wessex Saddleback (?) pigs. We met Miss October the piggy who's heading to the abattoir this week. Throughout the morning we tasted herbs and veggies. I haven't tasted asparagus so sweet and I don't think I ever will!

With baskets full of produce we headed back to the kitchen where we spent the next few hours preparing our feast and learning a few handy techniques along the way. I put my hand up to make the frangipane tartlets because I haven't had instruction with desserts before. In retrospect I am glad I did. There were many elements to the dessert and the end result really was divine.

If I begin to describe everything we did during the Agrarian Kitchen Experience then my post will be too long. You only need to read a bit on their website and you get the gist of what Rodney and Severine are doing. It is the truest farm to plate practice. If you have time check out this YouTube clip with Rodney. The Agrarian Kitchen isn't like a commercial kitchen where hundreds of meals are being prepared and the pressure of getting them perfect dictates and because of this Rodney is a great mentor. He steps in when you need him and stands back when you don't.


If you'd like to see more of my pictures from The Agrarian Kitchen be sure to go here. I'm working on my next posts as I made the most of another day in Tasmania on the Monday and drove through the Huon Valley. 




No comments:

Post a Comment