Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Adelaide Hills spaghetti carbonara

Truth be known I am not a fan of creamy pasta or cream in pasta but when I saw this recipe on Destination Flavour (SBS) last week I knew I had to try it.

Apparently carbonara is traditionally made without cream. Adam (ex Masterchef) demonstrated his version of the traditional pasta dish.

Ingredients

1 bunch watercress
2 garlic cloves, minced
180g pancetta, cubed or sliced
2 whole eggs
3 egg yolks
85g grated pecorino cheese (or cubed Woodside Cheese Wrights Pompeii)
500g fettuccini or spaghetti
2 tbsp olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

Remove the small 'branches' of the watercress from the main stalk, then wash and drain well. In a frypan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil and fry the garlic and pancetta until cooked. Toss through the watercress to wilt. Set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk the whole eggs and egg yolks well to combine. Add in half of the cheese.

In slightly salted water, boil the pasta until al dente and drain, reserving a little of the pasta water. Place the hot pasta directly into the egg mixture.

Add the reserved pancetta, watercress, remaining olive oil and cheese on top of the hot pasta. Grind over plenty of black pepper. Toss everything to combine, moistening with a little pasta water if necessary. Serve immediately.

Optional: This option is for you PT (a vego): omit the pancetta. Also, I didn't have watercress so instead of buying some I used what I did have - rocket. I would have made the pasta but I left it too late so I will next time. AND I will definitely be making this again!

This worked so well for us because we used our own fresh chook eggs. While its certainly not essential it makes a difference. They taste and look so good and they 'gel' together unlike free range supermarket eggs that tend to turn to fluid as soon as they're cracked.

No comments:

Post a Comment