Monday, July 30, 2012

adopt a pet: guinea pigs

Soon after our latest visit to the FSC (and much to my husband's disapproval) I decided that the children needed might like some guinea pigs. B was just so gentle with the guinea pigs on the farm and it would be an opportunity to nurture that gentleness.

I searched on the 'net and found this site where you can rescue a guinea pig that has been given up by its previous owners. I then came across a woman selling her two guinea pigs locally so we adopted the pair... a pair of males.

I do most of the caring of the animals, of course, but it has been so lovely. In the past fortnight B has raced out, changed into his guinea pig clothes and cuddled his two little pets, Simba and Narla. He chose those names. Simba has a particularly bushy mane and they are the most attractive guinea pigs I've ever met!

Little P (18 months) has taken the guinea pigs a container of carrot and can say "pig!"

I took this photo the other day. I came out into our sun room to find B reading to his mates. We had a discussion afterwards about how pets prefer space but how lovely it was to see them reading together!






No comments:

Post a Comment