Sunday, July 22, 2012

a quest to Canberra








We had a twenty-four hour visit to Canberra this week. J had to be in town for work so instead of staying at home with all the chores we decided we'd all head down.

Canberra isn't a place I'd choose to live again but those crisp mornings and clear, deep blue skies of winter are impressive. There was only a slight breeze so it wasn't too cold either.

We took the kids to Questacon (Australia's National Science and Technology Centre) in the morning. How ideal! Questacon is a place where children can touch, see and experience Science and Techology which makes it 'tangible,' easy to understand. Questacon has the addition of 'Mini Q' for 0-6 year olds. This area was great (fenced so easy to keep track of the kids) but children can get as much, if not more, from the other exhibits. I do get a little frustrated when learning is 'dumbed down' for children. You only need to explain things to children at a level they understand. It's no different to any other learning.

We visited Weston Park, a place I used to go as a child as my grandparents lived in nearby Yarralumla. It had been years since I'd been to Weston Park. My only memory is of the maze so I went to find it.....

but it was taken out about five years ago. I was a little teary, I must admit.

I had no memory of the train that operates in the park but we stumbled across it looking for the maze. It's seen better days (it takes you through a tunnel with old Disney and Hanna Barbera cartoons) and past piles of what were probably 'good ideas at the time' (think: cement toad stools, a waterfall that's full of algae, an ex merry-go-round horse protruding from a bush). Still, B loved it.

Afterwards, standing out on the edge of the lake, while the kids played in the park in the last of the winter sun I felt like I'd taken a step on the journey of creating new memories in Canberra.

No comments:

Post a Comment