Friday, July 13, 2012

pasta master






Years ago, when I lived at home Mum came across a secondhand pasta machine. Jamie Oliver had just become 'big' and we (the cooks of the family) decided that we'd attempt Jamie's recipe. After all, he made it look dead easy!

We soon discovered why the pasta machine had be turfed out. It left tiny shards of metal throughout the pasta! Still - we went through with the drying process- probably just to prove we could do it.

I still have an image of all the pasta lined up drying along our laundry clothes horse! Needless to say I don't actually remember sampling the metal-freckled pasta! AND we ate supermarket pasta from then on (we couldn't afford a new machine).

__________

In memory of this beautiful family moment I made my own pasta with my new Marcato pasta machine) based on Jamie's original recipe recently. Apart from the herb & pepper pasta I made a couple of months ago I hadn't attempted any other 'flavoured' pasta so I made beetroot pasta!

I served it with roast pumpkin, goat's cheese, toasted pine nuts, steamed beetroot leaves & a dollop of pesto. Sorry- no pics- we ate it too quickly! There was a slight sweetness from the beetroot that added an extra dimension to the dish.

2 comments:

  1. hey! i just wanted to know if there was any color loss from the beetroot pasta during cooking.. and if there was no color loss, how did you retain the pink color of the pasta and what exactly did you add to retain the color. i would be very grateful to you if you can revert back! i'm doing my dissertation on this!
    thank you!
    Asma..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Asma.

    I am so pleased you tried the recipe. Unfortunately mine also lost some of its colour. I have been doing some research online and haven't yet found information on how to retain the colour. If you do discover a method please let me know. I will ask a chef or two over the next little while.

    How did you find the flavour of the pasta? What did you eat with it? I'd be interested to know!

    ReplyDelete