Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Freecycle Feast











I have been marmalading again! A few months ago I discovered Freecycle. It has been a perfect avenue for getting rid of some of our no-so-bad things to people who want them. It has also aided my small habit of hording, I mean collecting things, we might need!

So last week I saw an offer for a box of cumquats and I just could not resist. Before I had even researched recipes I had agreed to collect them the following day and so began my journey in making some cumquat products.

Over two days this week I made marmalade and brandied cumquats. Stephanie Alexander, once again, came to the rescue with two wonderful recipes - the marmalade recipe from her mother. I love that these recipes use the pectin from the seeds rather than an artificial setting agent.

I commented on my Facebook page that I'd been cooking and my friend Kyle from Yum-oh suggested I try making the cumquat curd she had on her blog. I had a look at my dwindling crop of cumquats and decided I'd have just enough to make the curd with the addition of some ruby red grapefruit and lime juice. With the help of B we came up with a small jar full. Oh my goodness it is delicious!! Thanks Kyle!


No comments:

Post a Comment