Monday, August 22, 2011

Hints of Spring









There are a few hints that spring is not far away. The days are getting warmer and there are blooms appearing. The jasmine smells divine!

Every year on the day of the winter solstice my husband remarks "Oh great. We are heading into summer now!" Drawing on some of his enthusiasm I have been documenting a few other hints that we are, in fact, heading into summer or at the very least, spring!

Two of my favourite scents are jasmine and freesia flowers. I just love their citrusy tang. Daphne is another favourite of mine. As a primary school aged girl I remember visiting a classmate for the day in the local town. We discovered an empty block in her street where freesias were growing in abundance. We, ingeniously, picked as many as we could and sold them to the other residents of the street. I only remember selling to one buyer. We probably bought lollies with the cash.

I just love the house that we walk past in our neighbourhood. It reminds me of the neat, quaint houses in the Netherlands (although it has blinds). The couple who live there are well into their 90's and the husband walks every day. We often see them out in the garden (the wife directing the proceedings) as we walk by.




No comments:

Post a Comment