Tuesday, December 4, 2012

maternity leave & returning to work

I had my son, B, four years ago.

I am not exaggerating when I write that the first question many people asked me in those first months was, "when are you going back to work?" I couldn't even work out how I was going to have a shower in the mornings, tackle the washing and juggle breastfeeds with sleeps, let alone thinking about returning to my role of teaching - one that you can't do half-heartedly.

It wasn't until B was about 6 months old that people stopped asking me about returning to work. I know that I have been lucky to have the choice whether or not to have to return to work. Teaching is a female-oriented industry that makes provisions for its staff.

It was my choice to stay at home. Teachers in the NSW public school system are entitled to two years of maternity leave and to return to work part-time until their youngest child begins school after which they're expected to work full-time. Once childcare costs were paid it wasn't financially worth me returning to work after B was born. I also wanted to be at home with him.

Many of my friends who have returned to work say they couldn't be at home full-time and it keeps them sane.

For most people, returning to work is a decision they make at some point. I have a few friends with willing family (mostly grandparents) who babysit a day or two a week while they work. I think this is a great balance. The children have an extended network of carers, the grandparents play a significant role in their upbringing, have a bond with their grandchildren and parents can return to work (relatively guilt-free), giving them the opportunity for self and professional development.

I know of a number of stay-at-home dads too. I can imagine that these dads have a bond with their kids that will last their life-time. As many, if not all, of childrens' teachers will be women I think a male influence on kids is pretty important. Steve Biddulph writes about this in his books.

According to the Australian Institute of Family Studies (aifs.gov.au, n.d.) "taking leave around childbirth can have a negative effect on a woman's future wage growth." The AIFS states that more than eighty percent of Australian mothers return to work after childbirth on a part-time basis.

The government funded Paid Parental Leave Scheme has certainly helped people with the intention to stay at home for the first months after a baby is born do so more comfortably than in the past.

Our daughter, P, was born two years after B, which entitled me to another two years of leave. So I tacked on another two years of leave to my original leave. I strongly considered returning to work last year but it wasn't the right time for our family. My husband was away months at a time with work and I felt I needed to be with my children as they were already finding it difficult with their dad away. Needless to say I was as well!

A couple of months ago I contacted my principal and notified her of my intention to work next year. It is the right time for me and my family. It must be because I feel enthusiastic about the prospect of being in a dynamic work environment. The fact that I might just have to leave early to beat the traffic and have an uninterrupted caffeine hit on the way may also be part of the enticement!

While reading up on the issue of returning to work I found this personal account, this one and this account too.

Are you a stay-at-home parent? If you did stay at home how did you decide when to return to work? Was your decision based primarily on finances and your future in the workplace? What other factors did you consider?

No comments:

Post a Comment