Wednesday, December 19, 2012

in search of soup: flat white



I went in search of chicken and lentil soup I had eaten twice a few years ago... but they no longer serve it. Damian (ex Moran's) and Justine Monley opened Flat White years ago and gave it up earlier this year to invest more time in their new venture, Madam Char Chars, a chicken shop with a Middle Eastern touch. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Chris still mans the coffee machine, fortunately!

Last time we visited Flat White was about 3.5 years ago when B was about 6 months old. We drove around until we found a car park, waited for a table and sat down to order. Our food arrived and at that instant I remembered I'd left veggies steaming on the hotplate at home for B's dinner!! J jumped up and drove home to rescue our apartment. The pot couldn't be salvaged but that was a minor sacrifice.

Flat White hasn't lost it's great coffee, great dishes and cakes but it has lost a staple from its menu - the chicken and lentil soup.

My moist blueberry, polenta and poppy seed cake hit the spot for a late morning tea.

I am not giving up on the soup. It may not feature on their menu anymore but I'll be cooking it in my own kitchen soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment