Sunday, September 23, 2012

the agrarian way

I may well be the most excited person alive this morning! After five weeks away on a course for work (back on weekends) J suggested I might like to have the October long weekend to myself. He didn't have to say that twice.

I immediately started research. Yoga retreat. No. Spa resort type thing. No. Sewing workshop. No. Maybe a cooking school! Yes!!! I had remembered that on Matthew Evans' Gourmet Farmer show on SBS last week* he featured The Agrarian Kitchen in Tasmania. Their website showed that the Saturday class was all full so I called the lovely Severine and with a wait list of four I thought it fairly unlikely I get to learn about the agrarian way.....

A little while later I had a call on my mobile from Severine saying that if she got the numbers she'd run a Sunday class and wondered if I'd be interested! Needless to say I raced off to book flights and sort out accommodation with friends in Hobart.

Another bonus is that I have accommodation with friends, they are going to lend me their car and I have booked flights using points. I only have to come up with the cost of the cooking class for my weekend away to be complete... And pretty guilt-free.

If you haven't got plans for next weekend and you would consider a class at The Agrarian Kitchen make sure you give them a buzz. I'll be sure to report back about the day.... and the weekend away sans children.

"An agrarian mind begins with the love of fields and ramifies in good farming, good cooking & good eating." Wendell Berry

* Gourmet Farmer Episode 5: this would have had to be one of the most compelling pieces on food tv ever. Matthew Evans had two guests who demonstrated, what they believed to be, the most humane way to kill a chook to eat. It is not for the faint hearted but I would challenge every meat-eater to watch it. I think we have such a disconnect with our food and where it comes from. For a while after watching I felt I should become vegetarian but I guess choosing to stick to a diet with meat I can conjure up the image of the chicken when I do eat meat and really appreciate the sacrifice the animal has made.

Interestingly I was watching Gourmet Farmer with my grandmother and after the women's demonstrations and moments prior to Matthew Evans beheading one of his own chooks (with such a sober look on his face) my grandmother quickly changed channels. She didn't want to watch another chook losing its head. Flicking through the channels she came to Jamie Oliver carving up a steak and I could see her relax as she settled down to watch. I did comment that a cow did make the same sacrifice (in much worse conditions) before he arrived on Jamie Oliver's chopping board. 

No comments:

Post a Comment