Monday, May 28, 2012

Papua New Guinea

We've just returned home after a week in PNG. My husband had a conference so I decided to tag along. The children couldn't take the anti-malarial medication so they couldn't come with us. We were fortunate enough to have doting grandparents willing to mind the kids for the week so we could have a holiday as a couple - the longest we've spent away from the children and longest we've spent together without children since B was born.

*sigh* We are still on island time here!

My grand father and great grandfather both served in PNG during WWII. My grandfather was situated in Port Moresby (PoM) and worked at Fairfax Transmissions. He was a wireless (radio) mechanic with the RAAF.

My great grandfather was a postman in Buna. He was 48 at the time he was enlisted in WWII. What a job. Can you imagine the sheer excitement when people received a letter by post? And the disappointment for those who didn't?

One weekend, my grandfather went AWOL. He hitched a ride on an American DC3 and met up with his dad in Buna.

I'll relive our trip over the next few posts. Excuse my indulgence!


My grandfather, circa 1943, PoM (check out the legs!)
 

Fairfax Transmissions circa 1943

No comments:

Post a Comment