Monday, November 11, 2013

eveleigh farmers markets: a foodie's paradise

I'm a sucker for a fresh produce market. I love the hustle and bustle vibe, the conversations between customers and stall holders and the dedication of producers to get themselves to the markets at the crack of dawn. Most of all I love great produce and inspiration for how to prepare and eat it!

Some months ago I declared I was taking the Saturday morning off to get myself to Eveleigh Markets, a place I'd been wanting to visit for some time. My market companion was busy on the day but I wasn't deterred and went alone. What I found when I arrived was a marketplace buzzing with activity and thriving on a community atmosphere.

Unlike many market visits before, I remembered to take my wheelie crate (a legacy of my early teaching days) and a cane basket, both of which were full to the brim on departure.



I was SO pleased to see the South Coast Cheese stall from Tilba at Eveleigh. Only a few weeks before I'd visited their shopfront in Tilba Tilba on a trip to the part of the south coast we call home. I also discovered that these guys supply their milk to shops around Sydney for purchase! Win!

In my mind Eveleigh Markets s synonymous with the chef Kylie Kwong. And she was there, with her crew, steaming up a dumpling storm. I'd only just eaten breakfast and couldn't even find a tiny excuse in my belly to try one of her dishes. You can't have everything at once! That would be gluttony!



After a couple of hours (and a good coffee), many conversations and more purchases, I emerged from the old train shed with my haul, raring to cook! After a conversation with The Talking Cookbook (aka Barbara Sweeny) and food scholar John Newton I was in no doubt that I'd boil the artichokes and serve them with a homemade aioli and a glass of good wine. The rest I'd just have to wait and see what came to mind. On the way out I ran in to the local member Tania Plibersek who was chatting to people about the upcoming federal election. We got chatting but mostly about how to eat artichoke. She is every bit as charming, unpretentious and clever as she comes across through the media.



I can hardly believe how disappointed we were with the artichoke (after all that!). It wasn't the youngest specimen so I might try again with another, more succulent one another time. Lunch, however, was a hit. I made a puff pastry pie crust then cut slices of pumpkin with a mandolin. Blind baked the base then added fetta, pumpkin, kale and an eggy/milky mixture. This was simple and delicious!



I'll visit the markets again sometime on another self-declared day off! I'd better leave room for Kylie's dumplings!

Miss May Blossom
http://www.facebook.com/MissMayBlossom

No comments:

Post a Comment