Tuesday, July 16, 2013

magic bean cake

The first food I ate from a Thermomix was a slice of Magic Bean Cake from the Clever Cook. A friend brought some on a park outing and had me guessing for a long time about it’s ‘secret ingredient’ which I now know to be kidney beans. I was cooking in a kitchen with an oven I wasn’t familiar with – which had one setting – fan-forced but I managed to tweak the cooking temp. and time. At about 170Âșc I checked the cake at 30 mins and gave it another 5 mins. 

The cake was MOIST, perfectly MOIST, and delicious! I substituted the cocoa for some freshly ground cacao powder (which I whizzed up from cacao nibs.)I didn't have any vanilla extract so I added 2 tspn mixed spice.

Served with a dollop of cream this went down well. And no one suspected it was healthy… until I mentioned it!
magic bean cake
by clever cook

ingredients
420g can kidney beans, drained
1 tablespoon water or coffee
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
70g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon GF baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
125 g Butter OR oil (for GF)
5  eggs
180 g sugar


method
In your TM puree the beans, water/coffee, I egg and vanilla until smooth. SP 7. Set aside.

Beat the butter and sugar SP 5 30 seconds

Add the remaining eggs & beat for 20 seconds SP 4.

Add bean mixture SP 4 5 seconds.

Add the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and blend SP 4 10 seconds.

Pour batter into greased ring tin pan and bake MOD oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment