Thursday, June 13, 2013

mummy's time-out: Melbourne

Trams are very handy in Melbourne but I managed to get myself 'lost' one morning - heading towards the city's docklands and away from Northcote where I'd planned to be. I jumped in a cab to rectify my mistake which meant when I met up with an old friend (I witnessed his birth!) and we had time to have brekky at Red Door Corner Store (crumpets and french toast - yum!) and ride (on the bike he lent me) to Terra Madre

I am so pleased I had the time to visit. Terra Madre has the most extensive range of organic produce I've ever seen - from grains and spices, to fresh fruit and veg, to chocolate, cheeses and cosmetics. I could have spent all day in there but I left with only three packages - fresh cacao beans (pictured), sumac (needed for za'atar) and organic chocolate with coconut pieces (for a treat).


From Northcote I rode to Smith street where I met up with another friend from high school - who I hadn't seen since! It was such a luxury to finish a conversation (something that is difficult with children). 

What is a break without a massage or relaxation session? The Japanese Bathhouse was recommended by another friend and I noticed it in Melbourne's Time Out too. You could easily ride (or drive) straight past the entrance in the alley way and miss it. Once inside it is a haven for relaxation. It took a while but once I quietened my mind I found my quiet space too. For $76 I had use of the bath, the sauna, and a half-hour shiatsu massage (which was over far too quickly!)


We used to go to gigs fairly regularly before children but those days have dwindled since we have to factor in the cost of a babysitter and the effects of late nights so I deliberately planned my weekend away to coincide with Graceland which is a low-key event featuring about 8 musicians in semi-acoustic performances in a creative warehouse space.

$10 covered the entry fee, music from 3pm until late and a beer or cider (on tap). Sydney rd is just around the corner with a surplus of good food. At this point I was counting down my meals (three) in Melbourne so it wasn't worth wasting it with anything but goodness!

You can buy any number of gourmet salads and pastries (think chorizo and haloumi) or one of a dozen cakes at Greens Refectory - take away or sit down. So I took my take-away spinach and feta pastry, salads and a slice each of gluten free chocolate cake and Persian love cake and ate dinner with my friend to the tunes of some great artists from the Melbourne music scene. Very relaxing indeed.



 

1 comment:

  1. Miss May Blossom, what a gorgeous blog! Are the images yours?
    My blog, about books and writing, is at http://thebookorme.blogspot.com.au/, come on over and say hi...

    All the best,

    ReplyDelete