Friday, June 7, 2013

mummy's time-out: Melbourne

Everyone needs time out, right? Parenting is a 24/7 job and I know I function a whole lot better if I have some me time. In fact - the amount of me time is directly proportionate to the more functional I am! No - really - I do take those opportunities when I can so when J remarked that there was a free flight that needed to be redeemed before it expired I was the one who put my hand up for the flight.  Yep, the ultimate - taking one for the team. I was still nursing a heavy cold when I arrived in Melbourne but being able to sleep as long as I wanted and focus on my own recovery (rather than the sick kids I'd left behind) helped.

This was my weekend. Child-free. Mummy's time out.

These next few posts aren't supposed to make you jealous (though I can't garatee that you won't be) but they are supposed to inspire you to take your me moment. As soon as possible.

I'd arrived in Melbourne an hour and a half earlier. Having eaten breakfast at the airport some four and a half hours beforehand I was famished. All I could think about was food but, first things always have to come first, so I caught the shuttle into the city, the tram to my accommodation and checked in at La Villetta in Carlton.

It was an easy fifteen walk from my accommodation to Small Victories and the moment I stepped in to the warmth of the restaurant I knew I was in the right place. It was getting close to 2:30pm but lunch was still being served so I went with the slow cooked lamb cooked served with dukkah, roasted chickpeas, ewes feta, coriander and parsley. My heavy cold was still lingering so an apple, beetroot, celery, ginger, orange and carrot juice was the perfect accompaniment.  

This was a memorable meal: hearty, melt-in-your-mouth goodness at its best and it hit the spot. 

The plan was to see some live music at night (and I needed to be prepared) so I took myself back to La Villetta for an afternoon nap. It's the little things that you can do when you're away - that you can't do when you're on duty with children!



No comments:

Post a Comment