Monday, June 10, 2013

mummy's time-out: Melbourne

Melbourne must be best known for its narrow lane ways - full of life - and its food.

I heard (from good authority) that Melbourne food is kind of separated by suburb according to cuisine. Richmond is best know for the dozens of Vietnamese restuarants and shops.

Thanh Nga Nine is a favourite of friends who've travelled through Vietnam as well so it made sense to meet there for dinner. I wasn't paying all that much attention to the food because we were too busy catching up but it was good! We ate Banh Xeo (the traditional way) and it was perfectly accompanied by mint and lettuce.

It was such a hassle embuggerance treat to be able to choose a place to eat for every meal while I was away - and know I'd finish it and didn't have to share with anyone! I was only disappointed that there are only three (main) meals in a day and I wasn't staying for longer.

Melbourne is also known for the cold and rain and the weekend had both those in equal measure but it didn't matter. I had packed my gumboots (wellingtons) in preparation and it was a 15 minute walk (including a short tram ride) from La Villetta to Slow Poke Espresso on Brunswick st. At first I couldn't find the cafe. I knew it was a hole in the wall) but I was busy googling it when I heard the unmistakable 'tap tap' of espresso making. I swung around to find the cafe was hidden by a curtain of condensation on their front window and once I stepped inside it was easy to see why. It was warm and inviting! "Crazy weather!" I hear a local exclaim.

Brekky at Slow Poke was the house baked beans with herbs and feta served on chunks of grainy bread. These tasty morsels weren't from a can - they were nutty and firm and delicious! Just in case my two piccolos and brekky hadn't warmed me enough a raging fire made extra certain that no one could complain about the cold!




Once you've warmed by the coffee or brekky or the fire or all of these things a walk up Brunswick street is definitely recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment