Saturday, March 16, 2013

St Ives Wildflower Garden

St. Ives Wildflower Garden is located within Ku-ring-gah National Park and is open to the public (8am - 5pm) every day (except Christmas Day) and admission is free.

Since becoming a mother four years ago I have discovered many places in Sydney that I didn't know existed. As I didn't grow up here I have not had that long to explore but I have found some amazing places within our city. Sometimes I am surprised by their proximity to the city or to big highways. I love that in some places you really can pretend you are 'somewhere else!' The Blue Mountains always has this affect on me but the Wildflower Garden is a good substitute without the lengthy travel time from the city.

St Ives Wildflower Garden has walking tracks suitable for children and adults and more experienced walkers too. I'd definitely recommend it for under 5's. There's a five minute sign-posted walk through a wetland on a boardwalk. You can also visit the education centre (where you can find a map) and a fern enclosure. Situated at the end of a short walk is a picnic area with shelters. It is frequented by black wallabies. There is a children's playground and toilets too.

Each August the gardens holds a Festival of the Wildflower so keep and eye out for that leading in to spring.






No comments:

Post a Comment