Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter long weekend

It's safe to say that I've been baking like a mad thing!

I can happily tell you that I have not bought one hot cross bun from either of the two big supermarkets (or anywhere in actual fact) and the majority of the ingredients of my homemade buns are organic: organic, home-pushed egg, organic water flour, organic sultanas... 

B delighted each of his preschool teachers with a goody bag of hot cross buns this afternoon as a 'thank you' for their dedication to the job.

We are heading to the farm for the Easter long weekend where's no mobile reception. J is so snowed under at work that he suggested staying home to do work. "That is exactly why we are going away," was my response. I know it's difficult to tear yourself away from work especially when it's busy but sometimes you need perspective too. Family time is the most important thing in the world. Work can wait. It will never be all done. No one, on their death bed, ever said "I wish I worked more."

We are meeting friends from Melbourne and Ulladulla down the coast and it will be so good to have our kids playing together. We've all known each other since BK (before kids) and there's so much to catch up on!

We are planning an Easter egg hunt with the six kids, a BBQ brekky, a BBQ lunch,  and a swim.

I have packed the essentials for the kids - books, Lego, drawing implements... but I remembered that I had a stash of egg decorating kits hidden away that I bought on sale (50c each) after Easter last year! I have egg stickers, dye and I'll take some onion skins to dye eggs too. I'll have to practice 'blowing eggs.' There's always a chance it will rain so it's good to have these activities up my sleeve. If we don't get them done it's because we're outside enjoying the sunshine and there's always next year!

Are you heading away for Easter? Do you celebrate a traditional Easter or a variation on the theme, like we do?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment