Wednesday, June 27, 2012

phở




Since I listened to Luke Nguyen's conversation with Richard Fidler (you can download it) I couldn't stop thinking about one of Vietnam's signature dishes, phở (pronounced 'fur'), and the fact that I hadn't tried it. Phở is an almost-clear rice noodle beef soup. The stock is given depth by a number of spices including star anise and cinnamon etc,. Phở is served with slices of lemon, fresh Vietnamese mint and a pile of bean sprout along with the usual condiments - all for the diner to add according to taste.

In the last three days I've had phở twice. Once in Newtown (not worth writing about) and then after morning tea in Haberfield. Cabramatta is the place to eat phở. It's also the home of many Vietnamese. I did my research and according to the Herald's Good Food Guide the place to eat is Phở Tau Bay.

Phở Tau Bay was packed. The beginning of winter is here plus there was a light drizzle today so it was perfect soup-slurping weather.

We went for phở with rare beef and beef brisket but my husband also ordered beef balls in his soup. The whole family really enjoyed it. Cabramatta - we'll be seeing you again.  Phở Tau Bay save us a table!

No comments:

Post a Comment