Sunday, March 4, 2012

roast chook


One thing about this cool & rainy Sydney weather is that it's not too hot to have a roast in summer!

I cut down the chicken's backbone (yes- I feel awful- I just don't think about our chookies) and splay the chicken out. 

As usual I mixed a few recipes/ideas together. I smooshed a thick paste of salt, pepper & loads of garlic all over it. After the chook had been cooking about half an hour I also spread some of the fig marinating syrup over the chicken (brown sugar, water, star anise, cinnamon). Inside the cavity I put in a cup of cooked cous cous, a few slices of my preserved lemon, a few chunks of butter, sultanas and some marinated figs.

The cous cous can interfere with the cooking time so if you do attempt to make it ensure it is cooked through before serving up.

I love a simple roast. All you need is a few good flavours for the meat, a bunch of vegies (whatever is in the crisper) in the baking tray, a splash of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment