Sunday, March 8, 2015

tasmania: huon valley food adventure

We love Tassie for its produce! Today we had the morning in Cygnet at Lotus Eaters. It wasn't long after breakfast but who says you can't have a Lotus Eaters banana cake with creamed cheese icing, clotted cream and fresh plums for second breakfast? No one. Ever. I don't need lunch!


I just love Cygnet. Local producers supply as much of the ingredients as possible to meet the needs of the cafe. A few doors down Cygnet Garden Larder provides the ultimate in grocery shopping  for local (& consequentially seasonal) produce. We came home with this huge box of groceries (potatoes, silverbeet, an avocado, two capsicums, huge head of broccoli, lemons, tomatoes, two punnets of strawberries and two organic hunza pies) for a little over $50! 


There was a welcome downpour which sent us in to the homeopath. They deal with the homeopathics behind the counter but the front-of-shop is for fun - secondhand and new books and beautiful European toys. Can you imagine our two kids playing quietly from the toy box while we perused? Well they weren't but it wasn't that sort of book shop. In my bundle of purchases I bought The Field Guide to Tasmanian Produce. The book should really be named The Field Guide to Tasmanian Produce and a Million Reasons Why You Should Move to Tassie. 

This praying mantis enjoyed reading up about local food tonight in the camp kitchen! 


Making our way back to our caravan, we stopped at the Pagan apple farm cellar door for juice & cider. 


We barely ventured more than 20km from our roaming home today but we had a really delightful day full of good food, people and inspiration. 

2 comments:

  1. Am enjoying this trip of yours. It's like I am having my holiday again. We also stayed in that same park and attended many of the animal feeding/milking. Do they still have their lovely dog doing his rounding up of the sheep? He was fantastic. We enjoyed Cygnet and on the day we were there someone was actually swimming and I can tell you it was not a warm day. Also enjoyed their lovely cider too and wished I could buy it up north. Keep up with your wonderful blogging about your journey. Cheers. Sandra from Brisbane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra.

      Thank you so much for taking the time to write. I'm pleased you're enjoying the posts. I suspect we'll be rereading them & reminiscing) after our trip. They did have the dog. I've already forgotten his name.

      I've just done a quick search and apparently Dan Murphys stocks Franks Cider. I guess if you call Pagan they'll be able to tell you if you can buy local too! I'd like to hear how you go!

      Better than that - I hope you get back down here again soon!

      Delete