Saturday, October 12, 2013

Réunion Island, September 2013

September 22(?) 2013

"I'm sitting here on a banana lounge (not recommended) peering out over the great Indian Ocean. Somewhere, out there, is Madagascar and further still is the East Coast of Africa. It's surreal. The water is green. The beach, the sand is coral. Just to walk to the ocean's edge requires constant vigilance. To stub one's toe on coral is painful.


This morning J and and walked to the village (Saint Gilles Les Bains) markets. Fresh fruit and vegetables, baguettes Indian food - all fresh and beautiful. It now feels as though we are on holidays. Only now am I relaxed."




This is an excerpt from my diary from a few weeks ago. Only now am I able to consider sitting down to write again. Everything feels like a chore after a wonderfully relaxing holiday (for me) on Réunion Island.

My husband was attending a tri-continental conference for work. I was able to attend some of the conference. Mostly, though, my days consisted of laying on the beach reading, walking along the beach and riding a bicycle around the island and chatting with the other attendees' partners. In the evenings the delegates would join us for sunset drinks on the beach and dinner or a conference function.

It was an incredibly timely break. I had become quite overwhelmed with the job of stay-at-home Mum and we were lucky to have my mother mind the kids at our place while we were away. It wasn't until we returned home that I 'remembered' what a full-on job raising kids is. When we were away we just had each other to worry about, two adults. No spare changes of clothes. No snack packs. No night wake-ups. Riding bikes with no baby seats. SCUBA diving. And no whinging.

By day ten, though, we did miss our munchkins and so we were eager to get home to them. Meanwhile, they'd had a brilliant time at home in Sydney - a visit to the NSW Art Gallery, tennis with their Aunties, a kids' party, a preschool play date, the beach, the aquarium, parks, visits from cousins, swimming lessons, ice-creams!!! The kids were well looked after and Mum had a great (but exhausting) time!

I'll share more of our Réunion Island experience in coming posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment