Monday, October 14, 2013

memo to my kids: I'd like a day like this every day please

There are few days that I can recount when, at the end of the day, I can say it was a perfect day.

By perfect I mean that the kids argued only a few times, with no hitting.

By perfect I mean we got the balance just right. We had a couple of hours at home in the morning, went in to town for about an hour, and came home for lunch.

By perfect I mean that we had the perfect balance of screen time (about an hour of ABC 4 Kids in the hottest part of the day), outside time - weeding the garden, riding bikes and scooters in the street, trampolining, cuddling the guinea pigs and patting the chooks. I watched the kids help each other too.

By perfect I mean that when the kids were stuck inside during the hottest part of the day they entertained themselves. B took apart his Lego for the fourth time (since he got it yesterday afternoon) while, beside him, in their bedroom P put all her babies to sleep. And there were no complaints that the Lego building was too noisy for the babies.

The kids ate their lunch. No fuss. In the afternoon we chopped up a yummy fruit salad and ate it on our front step in the dwindling afternoon sun. I pretended to be cross as they sneaked extra pieces of watermelon. They laughed. We all laughed.

The kids ate dinner too. With little fuss. A leafy, tuna and lentil salad with char-grilled capsicum and artichoke, parsley, fresh coriander (which I detested as a kid).

By perfect I mean that I don't remember having to ask more than once for the kids to do something.

By perfect I mean that when P hurt herself twice today her brother ran to her aid. He gave a "ooooooh" noise and called for help as he reassured her and brought her his toys to distract her. She didn't care less about his toys but that's not the point.

In the bath the kids had their hair washed and B blurted out his favourite 'washing hair' song "to see what condition my condition(er) was in!" We laughed.

I can tell you these days are few and far between but I'm just going to relish in this one for a little longer. And tell the kids how much I enjoyed their company.


Do you remember the last time you had a perfect day?

No comments:

Post a Comment