Wednesday, April 24, 2013

ANZAC biscuits

A couple of days ago a foodie friend called to see if I was home as she had something to drop off. When I opened the front door she had a biscuit jar and in that biscuit jar were a stack of her favourite biscuit recipes! I can't wait to share them with you as I make them...

What a thoughtful pressie!

There was a recipe for ANZAC biscuits. Rumoured to have been made by Australian women at home during World War I and shipped to the front line, ANZAC biscuits were made using ingredients that could withstand transport without spoiling. ANZAC Day is commemorated annually on 25 April.

Margaret Fulton has a similar recipe to the one in my new favourite biscuit jar. This is my favourite recipe.

ingredients
1 cup rolled oats (I used instant oats)
3/4 cup dessicated coconut
1 cup (150g plain flour)
1 cup (220g) caster sugar*
125g butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda

method
Preheat the oven to 150Âșc. Grease baking trays or line them with baking paper.

Combine the oats, coconut, flour and sugar in a bowl. Melt the butter and golden syrup over a low heat. Mix the boiling water with the bicarbonate soda and add to the butter and golden syrup mixture. Pour the liquid into the mixed dry ingredients and mix well.

Drop teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto greased baking trays, leaving room for spreading. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.

Cool on trays for a few minutes, then transfer to wire racks.

note
If you prefer your ANZACs slightly chewy rather than crunchy, cook them fro about 15 minutes. 

*As usual I used unrefined caster sugar.

Are you making ANZACs this year?



No comments:

Post a Comment