Sunday, February 24, 2013

orange coconut cake

A dear family friend made this a couple of years ago when she visited. I asked for the recipe and I remembered it this morning while trying to decide what to bake for afternoon High Tea with school friends.

I hadn't made the icing before and I only had dessicated coconut and couldn't justify a trip to the shops. I didn't soak the dessicated coconut. It was light, fluffy and delicious!

I may just have to make another to take to school for work.

Orange Coconut Cake

Soak 1 cup shredded coconut in 1 cup milk - at least an hour. I usually do it overnight!! (in the fridge).

Cream 125g butter, 1 cup sugar & the grated rind of 1 orange.

Add 2 eggs, 1 at a time, stirring well.
A
Stir in 1 1/2 cups SR flour & the milk/coconut mixture - alternately, a bit at a time.

Pour into a greased & floured cake tin. Bake in moderate oven ( 180 degrees) 40 minutes or until golden. Stand 5 mins. then turn out.

Icing : 1 1/2 cups icing sugar combined with 1 teaspoon soft butter & enough orange juice to mix to a smooth paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment