Saturday, February 16, 2013

happy birthday buddy!

We celebrated the children's birthdays in December. Our extended family has six birthdays in the month in total but luckily I only had to make cakes for my two!

As a budding prehistoric enthusiast B has a sweet spot for the Dinosaur Train series so I decided I'd make him a 'Buddy' cake for his 4th birthday.



Dinosaur (not fairy) bread

There are just so many blogs and websites sporting incredible dinosaur creations so I drew on a few for inspiration and added my own touch. These fondant Dinosaur Train cupcakes look great but they also looked like a lot of work for each cupcake.

This link gave me a good start for something I was after. Buddy is orange with blue and yellow diamonds down his spine. I found this journal entry and it was just the plan I needed to get creating. After all I am not a cake decorator and I've never really made a cake that had to look like something before!

I started by making two simple butter cakes with a few bowls of butter frosting which I coloured with food colouring and cocoa for the chocolate frosting. I cut out shapes just like the blue dinosaur and glued it together with icing. I added tic tacs for teeth, smarties dabbed with a speck of icing for eyeballs and pineapple chunks cut into diamonds then decorated with blue icing for Buddy's back.

I just loved the way Buddy became 3D. I really enjoyed this project!

When I finished I STILL had bowlfuls of icing left over and a mountain of cake pieces so I fashioned a volcano which was more for looks! Tacky, I know!!

B's comment (after I told him it was Buddy because he couldn't 'guess') was "I guess Buddy does lie down sometimes." He's never laid down on Dinosaur Train. *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment