Thursday, June 12, 2014

bali: cooking class

My husband's annual work conference took place in Bali this year and once again my Mum offered to mind our children while we jetted off overseas. I just made it within the 36-week ok-to-fly bracket (returning at 35 weeks and 5 days) and we managed to be home before the volcanic ash grounded flights. I'm not sure how I would have come home if we'd been stranded or if I'd have had to wait and have the baby in Bali!


We stayed in the luxurious Alila Manggis in Manggis. Thankfully it was over an hours drive from Kuta which was a very different scene. It really was such a treat to be there and after a few days of rest I decided to join in a cooking class which involved a visit to the market. As with a pricey resort I expected to pay a bit for the experience, though I wasn't expecting it to be quite so expensive.

I'll follow up with a post about the cooking class itself. 


First thing in the morning we travelled by car to the markets at Klungkung (a fairly big city just off the highway towards Denpasar). The markets just seemed to go on forever. It was a public holiday due to a festival and many of the stalls were closed but of the ones that were open you could buy anything from fresh fruit and vegetables (mostly local, some imported); to cooked foods; packets of biscuits and noodles; live produce (ducks, chooks, piglets); cooking equipment (I'm kicking my self for not buying a large, shallow mortar and pestle for $6AUD; and freshly made offerings from flowers grown on local farms.


There's no guessing how snake-skin fruit get their name. These look similar to lychees when peeled but have a 
more astringent taste and firmer texture.


Eggs cooked in herbs.


This was a little confronting. These ducks were in for a bumpy ride home. 
They were alive when I took this  but wouldn't have been for much longer.








Anyone for suckling pig?


Miss May Blossom http://www.facebook.com/MissMayBlossom

No comments:

Post a Comment